Friday, January 6, 2012

Received today by UPS courier, my official copy of IN THE LION'S MOUTH

Sing, O harper, the anger of Donovan buigh,
That graced us all with boundless grief,
And left brave men a prey to dogs and kites
As we foresaw upon that fateful day
When Donovan buigh and Those of Name
First fell out.

When his wrath at first arose ’twas I he fixed it on.
Oh, yes. ’Twas I who hauled him from his happiness
Off those same Jehovan streets where once he walked,
And had he not his eye upon more distant joys affixed,
We’d twain lie dead in those same gutters, gutted
By each other’s skills. But he foreknew, and so forbore to fight
And did submit him to my plea. But know this now, O harper.
It was to thee that he was bound when I untimely snatched him up.
Attend my tale and learn
Why once-great cities burn. 


Prize of a Hearty Handshake to the first who spots the allusion and guesses the theme of the book.

3 comments:

  1. The Illiad? As to the theme, I would guess the inevitable consequences of past decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The allusion is to the ILIAD. Theme-wise, I have a few thoughts:

    Returning to home and family: Donovan was trying to do the latter at the end UP JIM RIVER, and a trip into the Confederacy might allow the former, i.e. a return to Terra. Though that is a theme much more prominent in the ODYSSEY.

    Wrath: "Sing to me, Muse, of the wrath of Achilles, son of Peleus, which brought countless ills upon the Acheans."

    Fate: It's been awhile since I've read the ILIAD or the ODYSSEY, but fate/destiny often play a big part in the Greek poetry/drama. Plus, it seems like you could have a lot of fun writing about determinism vs. free will with these characters and this setting. I have the inkling of a memory that you already have actually, but I'll have to re-read JANUARY DANCER and UP JIM RIVER again to refresh my memory.

    First or not, right or not, I plan on attending the January 21 reading/signing at the Easton B&N, so I hope to be able to shake your hand regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So my best friend Chris Madden. A guy ive known since we were nerding it hard core in our dorm room back in UW has finally released his comic "The Courier".

    couriers London

    ReplyDelete

Wonder and Anticipation, the Likes of Which We Have Never Seen

  Hello family, friends and fans of Michael F. Flynn.   It is with sorrow and regret that I inform you that my father passed away yesterday,...