- First Impressions: The book’s cover, with title and blurb, are the author’s first chance to make a good impression. Each author will be given a chance to read the blurb and show the cover (if available) before reading the opening page of his or her book.
- Enter the Hero: There is a place in every book where we meet the protagonist (another first impression), and each author will read the paragraph in which the hero is revealed to the reader.
- Meet the Bad Guy: Ditto for the antagonist.
- Look Who’s Talking: Dialogue is perhaps the most enjoyable part of reading as the characters interact and move the story forward. The authors will read a short exchange of dialogue without explanation.
- Let’s Go Places: Every scene has to take place somewhere. Each author will read a paragraph that sets a scene for a chapter or segment.
- Random Read: The authors will be required to read from a random page and paragraph selected by the audience.
- Closing Lines: Every book has a conclusion, and each author will share the closing line of his or her book to conclude the program.
TOF will be one of the three contestants vying for the coveted jelly beans to be awarded by the audience.
He appeals here to his Faithful Reader: Which of the TOFian novels shall bear pride of place in this noble contest? Nominations are hereby solicited. Where possible, indicate where in the book you think any of the above categories would be suitable. Vote early and often.