A frame device is distancing, so to maintain a degree of conflict, we have the denizens of the bar engaged in an argument, which elicits the story from Professor Cooker.
The regulars at the bar introduced in this story are O Daugherty Himself (the bartender), Mickey (the narrator), Danny Mulloney, Doc Mooney, and The O Neill. The latter has the habit of ducking out whenever one of these stories begins.
The compleat Irish Pub stories to date are:
- From the Corner of the Eye (3900 words)
- Flame of Iron (2200 words)
- Built Upon the Sands of Time (6000 words)
- 3rd Corinthians (3900 words)
- Still Coming Ashore (11,000 words)
- Probably Murder (930 words)
- Where the Winds Are All Asleep (18,300 words)